Saturday, October 27, 2018

Tracy Parish: Actual Rockstar


I'm just home from DevLearn, always a fun, exciting event. This year was especially meaningful for me as I watched one of my best friends, Tracy Parish, achieve well-deserved stardom as she won not just the annual shirt design contest but also the top prize in the 71-entry Demofest event, "Best Mobile Solution" category.


I'm guessing I've known Tracy for upwards of a decade, first online as #lrnchat participants (we're both moderators now) and later as conference buddies. In that time I've watched her emerge as a leader in our industry, offering practical real-world help for those working on limited budgets through her dazzling aggregation of low-cost tools and products, to helping lead the Toronto Storyline user community, to helping run the Canadian eLearning Conference. She's a stellar example of a pragmatic practitioner, always happy to help and to show and share her work. It has been fun and energizing watching her evolution and I think I was as thrilled as she was when she took the stage to receive her award.

Here's one of my own favorite photos, taken the day we snuck away from a conference to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.  I love Tracy dearly, and am proud of her both as a colleague and a friend. I look forward to seeing what she does next.


1 comment:

Mary Bentsen said...

Thank you for showcasing Tracy Parish's work on your page. Thanks to you, I have found her list of free development tools that she has gathered over the years. There are links to so many useful tools on her page. I knew of many of them, but most are new to me. I can't wait to explore all of them. I had no idea there were such a large number of free tools for 3D modeling, animation, iconography, image editors, augmented reality, virtual reality, and video captures! These will help me save time with the online portfolio I'm working on.

I will check out the licensing restrictions for all of the assets, but do you know of any licensing rules of thumb for using free assets from the web?