Monday, August 10, 2026

Do you even know what help you need?

Something different: I have been in conversation lately with several friends who are struggling with living their own lives and doing their own jobs while trying to manage medical situations for their aging parents. Nearly everything takes a lot of time, from sitting in waiting rooms to being on hold with insurance companies.


I had a plate full of this some years back when my husband had very complex surgery and needed a lot of aftercare while I was still working full-time. Honestly, I felt like I was drowning. IYKYK.

Did you know you can hire a part-time helper with the job title “Medical Manager” (edit: aka "patient advocate"). Changed our lives. She excelled at all the things I found infuriating and exhausting: wrangling with insurance companies, schedulers at doctors’ offices, pharmacies, etc., and even sometimes taking him to appointments or being the required driver available to take him home after procedures. Charged by the hour and she wasn’t even very expensive. Worth every penny. There might even be some insurance coverage for that.

Hope that helps.

No comments: